The Project Engineering Manager will focus on the day-to-day management of simultaneous product development projects; delivering designs with agreed-upon specifications within time and budget constraints, while utilizing innovative solutions to meet customer needs. This person should not only be familiar with all areas of product development including mechanical, electronics, software, regulatory, and quality aspects; but also be self-motivated to complete projects on target. Product development projects may range from upgrading an Aviation Balancing Analyzer to creating a new enterprise Software Analysis platform.
This role encompasses hands-on activities as well. The candidate will be expected to share in the testing and validation activities while also managing the project. The candidate should also be willing and able to help the team with technical challenges using his or her advanced problem-solving skills. Along with technical expertise, the candidate should be a strong leader with the ability to motivate and keep the team focused on the goal.
As the leader of the project, the candidate must have a willingness and desire to quickly become the domain expert (for example, in vibration measurement and analysis) to ensure that the product being designed will meet the final needs of the customer. This expertise is required to ensure that all the software, hardware, and user interfaces are correct. The candidate cannot be a specialist in one area but must be able to intelligently speak to all participants through the product development cycle. At one moment the person in this role may be updating the schedule, and the next be working side-by-side an engineer to diagnose a problem in the lab. An ability to balance schedule and product features should be a natural inclination of the candidate in order to maintain focus on the overall project goals. This person should be willing to work around obstacles during the product development cycle, not default to delaying the schedule. Some projects will require management of outside resources for both environmental testing and development, so the ability to do contract management is also necessary.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a job incumbent. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. An employee will be required to follow other job-related duties required by the manager.
|% of Time Performing Task||Responsibility/Accountability|
|65%||Manage and be responsible for the successful deployment of new product development projects; delivering designs with agreed-upon specifications within time and budget constraints. Ensure projects are focused on meeting customer requirements. Coordinate with other areas of TEC to ensure that new products can be built, tested, sold, supported and maintained over the lifetime of the product. Report status of projects (features, cost, schedule, quality, risks) to senior management. Some projects require status reporting to customers as well, particularly military.|
|20%||As the leader of the project, serve as the domain expert for the product. Perform testing and validation activities to ensure that the product being designed will meet the final needs of the customer.|
|10%||Help the team overcome technical challenges through diagnosis or creative means to provide alternate solutions.|
|5%||Be a student of current industry trends, ensuring that the product is using modern technology that is most appropriate for the solution (performance, price, lifespan, etc.).|
- 10+ years of relevant, progressive work experience, ideally in designing embedded products
- Demonstrated experience managing product development projects
- Aviation and/or military contract background desired
- Solid understanding of engineering technical issues/needs as related to product design and development
- Knowledgeable and comfortable with a wide variety of technologies with a desire to self-teach new technologies that will help solve application problems
- Good personnel management, interpersonal, and communication skills used to intelligently speak to all participants through the product development cycle
- Broad knowledge of planning and scheduling, utilizing tools as necessary to reduce complexity
- Excellent problem-solving skills utilizing a foundation in understanding of digital and analog electronics as well as software including FPGA, firmware, and applications
- Experience in driving projects from conception to delivery
- Bachelor’s degree required; Engineering major preferred. Master’s degree is a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Works predominately at office desks: extensive computer work, carrying out both manual and repetitive arm hand and finger movements in regard to computerized data entry and data processing tasks; and providing verbal contact with customers and co-workers.
- Ability to lift, push, or pull 20 pounds occasionally (15 %) and 75 pounds rarely (5 %).
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental activities necessary include concentration, mathematical accuracy, organization, and communication skills.
- Limited travel will be required.
- Must be able to effectively communicate to an audience at multiple levels including engineering, customers, product support, industry experts/leaders, etc.
- Extended hours may be necessary as workloads dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends and/or holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This list is not an inclusive list of other demands that may arise.
- Standard office machines, including computer, tablet, smart phone, multiline phone system, copier, scanner.
- Oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies, various meters, computer driven test equipment, etc.
Technology for Energy Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Female/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.